Monday 11 July 2016

Satan Reviews- Books: The Girl in the Box (Book 1)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20887481-the-girl-in-the-box-series

Alone (Book One of Girl in the Box Series)

Robert J. Crane

Revelen Press


Warning: Swears, sarcasm, spoilers (only from book 1, because I only read book 1)



I nearly finished the first part/ story/I dunno and kind of gave up because it was getting ridiculous.

The main character (Sienna Nealon) is incredibly sarcastic and admittedly I like sarcasm, but... to the point where you want to punch her in the face because it never ends, and her utter disregard for human life is annoying and unrealistic. The fact that she doesn't mind risking like 10 people's lives so she can risk her own with some weird wolf-dude who is meant to kidnap her. But then she pisses the wolf-dude off and he decides to kill her. And he breaks into the place where Sienna's staying that I forgot the name of because I don't care and kills more people and nearly kills Sienna. She's never left her house until three random guys who literally add nothing to the story show up at her house and try to kidnap her. Her mum basically abused her both mentally and physically for 17 years, but it's not really treated as abuse. Sienna brushes it off as her mum trying to toughen her up and make her obedient (which she would, not knowing any better), but no one points out what Sierra yes, fucking Sierra. Who in their right mind would name their child a name so close to their's????? I think that's where I gave up. Don't know why I carried on reading. Jesus Christ. Sienna and Sierra. I tell you. was in the wrong and that's not the way to treat a child.

This book is basically some sort of weird Marvel wet-dream fanfiction. It's X-Men meets Avengers (kinda). People are Mutants and the whole place is run by Loki a Jötunn, all set in high school a serious, HQ kinda place.

Then at the end it turns out that Sienna is a Succubus. Even though she shows no Succubus powers. Succubi are demons that seduce people have sex with them and then kill them. There were no sexy times in this book, especially not with Wolfe- who is the only person she kills with her Succubus powers. And according to my research, quick look on Wikipedia Succubi seduce men through their dreams. I know Sienna dreamed about Wolfe, but there wasn't any seduction going on. Unless Wolfe is into some kinky stuff And then after killing Wolfe she has a mental breakdown and I think she's perfectly fine afterwards. This is the point where it gets too much????? Not all the deaths caused by her, the abuse from her mother, being snubbed by her peers- killing the thing that's trying to kill her is what does it. I gave up after that.

I stopped reading after chapter 24 or 25 as I was incredibly done with everything by that point but mostly because I forgot that I was reading it.


I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars, surprisingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment