Monday 5 September 2016

Satan Reviews- Books: Death of an Avid Reader (Kate Shackleton #6)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19164555-death-of-an-avid-reader

Death of an Avid Reader (Kate Shackleton #6)

Frances Brody

Piatkus

Warnings: Contains major spoilers (i.e. who the killer is).

This book was eh. Like, it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. So just eh. I wasn't really a fan of the writing style and I feel as if books written in first person come off as they're from the 9-12 section- so something I tend to avoid if possible.


I guess Kate Shackleton was likeable. She wouldn't count as a TSTL heroine, but she's not very interesting. She's a lil bit stereotypical and is a bit bland as a character, especially a main character. The secondary characters were enjoyable to read and had more compelling personalities and stories. The monkey was more amusing to read than Kate. The monkey was the best character of the entire book, to be honest.

It was a bit annoying that you pretty much knew from a good proportion before the end that Mr Castle was the murderer and then even after he was arrested you still had to wait for all the loose ends to be tied up. Even before he was arrested, there was time for another murder. I guess it was because it meant that it wasn't obvious who Sophia was. But it then meant that it was a bit obvious who the murderer was as soon as Kate read the article about the solicitors. It also meant that the ending was rather clunky due to all the loose ends having to be tied up with a concrete ending.

Other than who the murderer was (but that was only obvious after half way though, in my opinion), I don't think the book was too predictable. But I'm a bit dense, so I probably wouldn't be able to have guessed if the article hadn't been shown. Like, I couldn't even figure out why her husband wasn't mentioned. Then I read page 100 and I was like, "oh".

I'm unlikely to buy other books in the series, unless their heavily discounted or something. But I wouldn't be offended if someone got me one as a present (unless it was this one). And even then, I wouldn't rush to read them.

I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment